By Lauren Orcutt
Define Escape Room: a physical adventure game in which players are locked in a room in a room and have to use elements of a room to solve a series of puzzles and to escape within a time limit.
Escape rooms are known as a team building activity and sometimes to collaborate with people you don’t know. Coming soon to Waugh Chapel is Mission Escape. The rooms in this game are set as various locations such as a black and white, a prison, Edgar Allan Poe, etc. Teammates collaborate together to figure out the clues which combines with other clue in order to escape the room you are trapped in. The goal of the game is to solve all the puzzles in under 50 minutes. If you do not, you are stuck in the room until you figure out everything.
SOME TIPS (You’ll need them)
- If you are claustrophobic, DO NOT DO AN ESCAPE ROOM ESPECIALLY WITH A LARGE GROUP.
- If you are not renting out the entire escape room, be prepared to communicate with people you don’t know and accommodate with them
- You will not have your phone so you can fully communicate with the people around you and to not cheat!! They are locked in a locker so no, nobody will take it. This is all with your head and your problem-solving skills.
- There are no clocks so there is no countdown to lock at. Take your time but also hurry up! This means if you are stuck on one problem, ask for help. There is an intercom system that you can ask questions to.
- Verbalize what you see so that everyone can work together and help each other out.
- Lastly, think like an engineer or a director. What’s a game without a plot?
Hopefully, these tips will help you out with the Escape Room if you decide to try it out! 8/10 but is strongly recommended for fun or team building activities.